Topic: Re: Bart's re:lecturing
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jul 2, 1995 2:22 PM

Dan Lenard Sebastian

Re: Bart's re:lecturing

On Sat, 1 Jul 1995 Lutemann@aol.com wrote:

> You're right Bart. The problems with education are multi-facetted.
> Four facets to be exact: 1) the parents stink 2) the kids stink 3) the
> teachers stink and 4) the administrators stink (60% of them are coaches for
> gosh sake).
>
> In 10 years the Standards will disappear like all other previous reforms; but
> they will leave something behind. If nothing else, having the Standards
> around forces you to reevalute what you're doing. Also, a lot of good
> teaching material will be left behind to pick over.
>
> Several years ago I read of a woman who went to Japan to study the "way" the
> Japanese got such (supposedly) good results from their math students. She
> wanted to see what their method was since even the ordinary kid over there
> takes calculus. What she found was a different teaching approach in every
> school she visited. There wasn't any system, just motivated students.
>
> Oh, by the way, I think I left off a facet: the professors who teach ed.
> classes don't smell so good either.
>
> Kent

The reference to coaches is not called for. I am a very committed coach
and teacher. In order to be good coach, you must be a good teacher.
From where I look anyone that does his job well is a plus for the school
in which they are employed. I for one have stressed grades for all my
atheletes. Self-discipline in the classroom will help self-discipline on
the playing field and vica versa. If you can not get along with other
educators regardless of the field they teach then standards will not help
to develop better students.

IMHO the main problem with most students is they are not required to earn
rewards or work for goals in most cases. They want all of life to be
like a electronic game with instanteous feedback. Regardless of how you
instruct, all feedback is not immediate. Somethings require a wait to
get an result. I found that if children of any age can be taught this
lesson then the results are imporved scores becuase the long-term
learning is the desired result not studying to pass the one test at the
end of the chapter, semester, or year.

Dan Sebastian
Head Football Coach and Technolgy Coordinator
"Didn't think that Football coaches could think?? :{