Topic: Fwd: Re: meaningful standards (fwd)
Replies: 4   Last Post: May 30, 1995 1:47 PM

Steve Means

Re: meaningful standards (fwd)

In discussing this with my students just now, they introduced a slight
shift in terminology. They think that education is progressive, from
Basic to Specific. The Basics, which are learned earlier in school,
tend to have more general application to support the specific learning
and tasks encountered as the educational demands become focused on
specific career objectives.

The human mind depends on making generalizations, on making information
more compact.

It is NOT significant learning to be given a formula (a generalization)
and then be prompted to find the missing values and compute an answer
(unless the lesson is on substitution and/or computation).

Period Two Algebra with Trig Students 1995

from Steven S. Means means@belnet.bellevue.k12.wa.us
Math and Technology Teacher at Sammamish High School
http://belnet.bellevue.k12.wa.us/sammamish/