Topic: Fwd: Re: meaningful standards (fwd)
Replies: 4   Last Post: May 30, 1995 1:47 PM

W Gary Martin

Re: meaningful standards (fwd)

Steve: The question that I have with the Basics idea is... When does
tomorrow come? When do the specifics finally appear? In other words,
students learn whole numbers so they can do fractions, fractions so they
can do algebra, algebra so they can do precalculus, precalculus so they
can do calculus, ad infinitum. I have heard calculus teachers say, don't
worry about understanding, they'll get that in real analysis. Just
wondering... Gary Martin, Univ. of Hawaii