Topic: Re: An open letter to Tad
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 4, 1995 1:51 PM

Tad Watanabe

Re: An open letter to Tad

Here is an extreme example I observed this past spring in a public school
(fifth grade classroom). There was a boy in that class who had
difficulty adding two three digit numbers. I'm not even sure what kind
of number sense he had, but, I'm pretty sure the teacher knew he would
not be able to understand any of the materials that were being discussed
in the curriculum. Would it be ethical if the teacher simply taught the
materials to the class, including that boy?

I know this is an extreme case, but, what if the teacher knew some of
his/her students would not understand the materials suggested in the
curriculum? Maybe what I meant was if it would be ethical if the teacher
taught the same curriculum to everyone in the same manner, especially
when the teacher knows the materials are not appropriate to some of the
students.

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, Maryland