Topic: Re[2]: Please don't misrepresent
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 21, 1995 12:11 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Re[2]: Please don't misrepresent

On Sat, 3 Jun 1995 Michelle@edc.org wrote:

> Subject: Re: Please don't misrepresent
> From: DanH150093@aol.com at internet
> Date: 6/2/95 7:17 PM
>

> Since no one else has answered, I will. I don't like to make "ethical"
> judgements about people, expecially people on the Net. So I'll say this:
> Copying a private email to a public forum without the author's permission
> to do so is rude.
>
> This says nothing about how I feel about the current debate. I just
> want to point out to some people who may be new at this form of
> communication that it is not a good example to follow.
>
> -michelle

My mom disavows herself of any responsibility for my lack of couth. She
swears that I didn't learn all of my rude habits from her.

As to the "ethics" of forwarding a private post to a public list: 1) I
think that the context of the message and the public debate which
inspired it made that message part of the debate. 2) Since it was sent to
me, I felt that it belonged to me and that it was mine to post. Had it
been something I'd received 2nd hand, I would have asked for permission
before posting it. 3) Had the author suggested that he didn't wish for
anyone else to know what he'd written me, I would not have posted it to
the list.

However, regardless of the form of communication (snail mail,
e-mail, or whatever), is there some rule that says that mail sent from
one individual (or group) to another cannot be made public by one party
or the other? How about the correspondance between Jack Price and John
Saxon that was circulating last year? Although some of the messages were
private, I don't recall anyone complaining when that traffic became
available. I'm not sure which party, if either, was responsible for the
mail becoming public, but frankly I thought it was healthy for it to be
aired.

I find it interesting that I have now been accused of being both
dishonest and unethical. Please don't let my parents know about this:
they're members of the Ethical Culture Society of New Jersey and the
American Ethical Union. If it leaks out that their eldest son is so
lacking in moral fiber, I'm not sure they'll be able to handle the shock.
:-(

Michael Paul Goldenberg
University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
4001 School of Education Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
(313) 747-2244 email: mikegold@umich.edu