Topic: Re: J. Escalante
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 11, 1995 9:37 PM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: J. Escalante

On Sun, 11 Jun 1995, Cathy Brady wrote:

> What your friends are saying sounds like typical school system politics
> and petty jealousy... Sounds like they're mad at him for not sharing
> the money. You mentioned no fault in his work with students.
>
> I've worked in school systems where giving a school district money would
> be like tossing it down the drain. It took me a lot of work and time
> to apply for grants, first small and then larger to develop the
> credibility to get more grants and win interesting jobs like the one
> I have now. And there are people who whine with jealousy rather than do
> what work lies before them.
>
> Shame on you for perpetuating gossip. I guess large segments of any
> profession are like that.

The "shame on you for perpetuating gossip" remark seems a bit much to me.
While there is little doubt that Escalante is an unusual and noteworthy
practitioner, that hardly makes him above criticism. As the public figure
he has become, he is positioned to a much higher level of scrutiny than
is the average school teacher.

I am in no position to evaluate the accuracy of the remarks being
repeated about Escalante, but then again, neither are any of us who have
not worked with him. I agree that we should probably do better than post
remarks without citation, but I'm not sure that, in this case at least,
shame is an appropriate response either.

Michael Paul Goldenberg
University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
4001 School of Education Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
(313) 747-2244 email: mikegold@umich.edu