Topic: Sketchpad and technology
Replies: 58   Last Post: Jun 24, 1995 3:44 PM

ciclista@host.yab.com

Re: Sketchpad and technology

On Sat, 17 Jun 1995, Arthur Howard wrote:

> Second observation. Your space analogy reminded me of the book I just
> finished on Apollo 13. That was their situation. Those three were
> certainly experts in many fields, including math, but the situation they
> were in still demanded computer control over almost everything. And I
> doubt seriously that our society would do anything except collapse if all
> the power went out. The problem with technology is that, with the
> expansion of services it allows, it also brings expanded frailty.
> Someone once said that fiberoptic cables can carry 10,000 more telephone
> conversations than an equivalent amount of copper. but if a backhoe digs
> into the cable, 10,000 times the people will be out of service! Our
> society is so computer-dependent now, we cannot keep our economy and
> lifestyles without them. Do we reject technology for the vulnerability it
> causes? Perhaps we should, but we haven't so far.
>
> Arthur

I disagree that technological improvements necessarily increase our
frailty. Human societies throughout history have ebbed and flowed with
ebbs often resulting from a lack of understanding/technology. Are we
more frail than they were just because of a greater dependence on
technology? I think not. True, because our technology and understanding
have increased the human burden upon the planet, there are pressures that
are unprecedented or at least intensified now that we must contend with,
but these are signs of the success of technology/understanding in
REDUCING our level of frailty. As has always been the case, it is the
USE or ABUSE of technology/understanding that will determine our
vulnerability as individuals and as a species. The need for a broad and
profound education for all human beings has never been greater than now,
and will continue to increase. Unfortunately, the systems we have
created for the purpose of achieving these necessary goals are inadequate
to the task for many reasons we can all list. No, it is not technology
that makes us frail, it is the failure to learn to use it wisely.

Bruce Braley

Date Subject Author
6/11/95
Read Sketchpad and technology