Topic: Character assasination
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 26, 1995 8:58 AM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Character assasination

Dan,

I'm not sure if I would interpret the phrase you quoted in the same way
as you did. To me, the Standards is cautioning us agains the use of a
single assessment instrument/method. I think this was always a concern
for math teachers. If you teach young children, you want to make sure
your math assessment if indeed assessing students' mathematics
understanding, not their language ability - which often interfers with
students' performance on written tests. Or, if you have students from
inner city, a math problem involving "garage" may not make much sense to
them, not necessarily because they don't understand math but because they
cannot relate to the context in which the problem is embedded.

I have once watched a video-taped interview of a first grader who
couldn't do simple arithmetic like 2 + 3 when it was presented to him
using the plastic numerals and symbols. He was having trouble counting
his fingers after he put up two and three fingers. But, when he was
dealing with an activity involving dot cards (show a card with several
dots on it for briefly and ask how many dots s/he saw) he could use
reasoning like, "There were 6 because you can move one dot to make a
'6'." Obviously, this kid will not succeed in a regular written test,
but, I would say he brings with his something very powerful in
understanding numbers.

Another thing the Standards emphasizes is that we match the type of
assessment with the purposes of the assessment. It may be appropriate
sometime to assess students so that you can find out where they are
compared to the "norm." Then, there are occasions when such information
is not the main objective of assessment.

So, overall, I think the quote you included makes really good sense to
me. It is not advocating to assess students on what kind of a person
s/he is. In fact, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to assess students
on "what kind of mathematician s/he is" either. After all, a
mathematician is a person, too.

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, Maryland