Topic: Chapter 5--Everybody Counts
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 31, 1995 4:54 PM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Chapter 5--Everybody Counts

On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Ronald A Ward wrote:

> 3. The author points out that the United States is "one of the few
> countries in the world that continues to pretend--despite substantial
> evidence to the contrary--that elementary school teachers are able to
> teach all subjects equally well." What recommendations for change would
> you make to ameliorate this situation?

I'm not sure if these _is_ substantian evidence that elementary school
teachers are able to teach all subjects equally well. I wonder if they
included any references. I know in Japan, elementary teachers are
generalists. The students study all subject matters from the same
teacher, the homeroom teacher. They may have special teachers for music,
art, pe, but that's pretty much the same way we have it here.

The #2, which I didn ot include, seems to suggest that breaking down
mathematics problems into small pieces/skills is not the way to approach
mathematics. But, what this statement is suggesting is that teaching
elementary school children can be done by breaking down the task into
smaller pieces (different subject matters). I know we are dealing with
two different issue, but ...

* Tad Watanabe e-mail *
* Dept. of Mathematics watanabe-t@toe.towson.edu *
* Towson State University watanabe-t@towsonvx.bitnet *
* Towson, MD 21204 tad@midget.towson.edu *
* (410) 830 - 3585 (410) 830 - 4149 FAX *