Topic: Re: The missing dollar problem
Replies: 8   Last Post: Apr 20, 1995 1:21 AM

Angie S. Eshelman

Re: College Algebra Standards

Butch,

Another very valuable resource that may be of interest to you is the
working draft of "A Framework for Constructing a Vision of Algebra
prepared by the Algebra Working Group of the National Council of Teachers
of Mathematics (September 1994)." While this document is geared toward
re-envisioning K-12 algebra, I think it would be useful to you on the topic
of the standard college algebra curriculum, because it seems that the
college algebra curriculum is what it is as a result of what students do
(not) get out of the pre-college algebra curriculum.

Here is an excerpt from the Preface:
"In 1994 the NCTM Board of Directors created the Algebra Working Group and
charged it to produce a document that:
* expands the vision of "algebra for all" that begins with
experiences in early elementary school and extends through secondary
school;
* elaborates this vision by including examples, practical ideas and
promising practices, and helps teachers and school systems raise questions
about the process of change.

".... The framework and the examples are presented here so that, in
keeping with the charge, this document provides a foundation for rethinking
the algebra curriculum. The purpose of the document is to generate
thought, debate, reaction, and attention to the many issues surrounding
algebra. The document can serve as a motivation for a continuing series of
papers, conferences, and activities related to algebra. Various
communities should be able to use the document as a basis for constructing
their own vision of an algebra strand, K-12, that will serve the needs of
all students. Mathematics teachers, mathematics supervisors, mathematics
teacher-educators, mathematics-education researchers, mathematics
curriculum developers, textbook authors, mathematicians, policy makers,
parents, and community members will find in the document stimulation for
grappling with issues and decisions related to changes in the teaching and
learning of algebra."

I am not sure whether/how this draft is obtainable at this time from NCTM,
but they would be the ones to contact for more information since their
address is listed in the front of the document. NCTM also has an email
address: nctmath@tmn.com

Angie

At 1:52 AM 3/14/95, Butch Sloan wrote:
>I am aware of the NCTM standards for K-12 mathematics, but I have had a
>request for what the reform movement is suggesting for the standard
>college algebra curriculum at the junior college or university level.
>Can anyone point me towards a source for what's being advocated in this area?

Angie S. Eshelman
116 Erickson Hall Office: (517) 353-0628
Michigan State University E-Mail: eshelma2@student.msu.edu
East Lansing, MI 48824-1034