Topic: Chapter 3--Everybody Counts
Replies: 11   Last Post: Mar 18, 1995 1:02 AM

Andre TOOM

Re: Chapter 3--Everybody Counts

On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote:

> to suspect that I'm reading you correctly here. If so, I have some questions
> for you: if American education is so lousy (and I'm not suggesting that
> it's not full of problems and in need of improvement) what made you come
> here? And if your analysis of Americans is on the money, what country do
> you think is above the criticism that it has many complacent citizens?

Dear Michael:
If there is a fire, people shout `there is a fire here'.
They do not add `there is no fire at other places'.
The job of intellectuals is to critisize,
like the job of pain receptors is to inform what is wrong.
If you feel your heart or liver or stomack, something is
wrong with them, otherwise you do not feel them.
All this has to be explained in non-democratic countries.
(The example with the fire belongs to Dudintsev, a Russian dissident.)
Now I see that same ideas have to be explained to somebody here also.
Andrei Toom