Topic: Boston
Replies: 3   Last Post: Mar 30, 1995 6:25 PM

Annie Fetter

Re: Boston

>Implementing the standards would be facilitated by more interaction
>between us all -- at least I'm not as isolated as I was before last year
>when we finally got connected to the Internet.

It's one of those things I love about the Internet. Conference are great -
you get to see wonderful things, meet wonderful people, and hear wonderful
talks. But, then you go home. Sure, you get to read the Math Teacher and
whatnot to stay in touch, but that's not near the interaction you get of
being in enclosed spaces with people struggling with the same issues. The
standard model of teaching in a K12 setting is generally isolated, and
there's no guarantee that the people you work with are interested in trying
out the same sorts of things that you're dealing with (much less any
guarantee that those same people are interest_ing_!). But now along comes
this means of communicating with those people you met at that conference or
workshop - or never met at all! Totally cool. And pretty darn useful.

>On a related topic, when the NCTM list came back up, reference was made
>to news groups on math ed. We don't have the capability to access news
>groups. Annie mentioned that there might be a way we could access these
>lists through an alternative route. Any ideas on this?

I had said that I would be willing to consider setting up the k12.ed.math
newsgroup as a mailing list on our system, for those of you who can't
access it. I didn't get a lot of responses, so I haven't gone ahead with
that. Drop me a line personally if you're interested and think that might
make your life easier.

And, coming soon: Win Valuable Prizes at NCTM! Brought to you by the
Geometry Forum....

-Annie

Date Subject Author
3/25/95