Topic: Chapter 4--Everybody Counts
Replies: 8   Last Post: Mar 26, 1995 11:12 PM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Chapter 4--Everybody Counts

On Thu, 23 Mar 1995, Lawrence C. Lacher wrote:

> If an elementary student asks this, I believe it is easy enough to
> convince him or her of the necessity of having basic math skills in
> today's society.

I'm not so sure if it is so easy to convince elementary school students
of this fact. I hate to go back to the calculator issue, but they may
think basik math skills is not needed.

> First, let me clarify. Although the courses are integrated, Course I is
> still basically Algebra; Course II is still basically Geometry; and
>Course III is still basically Algebra II/Trig. So in light of this, I
>ask the question again: Isn't it more exciting (and meaningful) to take
>a course called Geometry than Sequential Math Course II? Just as it is
>more meaningful to take Biology, Chemistry, and Physics than it would be
>to take, say, Science I, Science II, and Science III. I feel it is just
>a matter of envoking enthusiasm for a course--and it is hard to get
>enthusiastic about a course that has some bureaucratic title.

It sounds like a mis-implementation of the goals, if Course I is "still
basically Algebra" etc.

* Tad Watanabe e-mail *
* Dept. of Mathematics watanabe-t@toe.towson.edu *
* Towson State University watanabe-t@towsonvx.bitnet *
* Towson, MD 21204 tad@midget.towson.edu *
* (410) 830 - 3585 (410) 830 - 4149 FAX *