Topic: Chapter 4--Everybody Counts
Replies: 8   Last Post: Mar 26, 1995 11:12 PM

Steve Means

Re: Chapter 4--Everybody Counts

I sure agree, Mark, that with many, perhaps most, high school students
and parents it is tough to avoid a focus (paralyzing) on grades and
GPAs. It is possible to get beyond this.

My experience is that by supplying the students with positive projects,
exciting work, and granting them all manner of praise, certificates,
public events, recognition, letters and postcards home and sometimes even
some paid employment, tutoring, assisting at extra course I teach,
positions at conferences, work with vendors and so on ... that by
offering the students something in additon to grades that the students
learn to desire more than just grades.

If the option is nothing concrete, then why opt!

from Steven S. Means means@belnet.bellevue.k12.wa.us
Math and Technology Teacher at Sammamish High School
http://belnet.bellevue.k12.wa.us/sammamish/