Topic: group projects
Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 30, 1995 4:58 PM

Tad Watanabe

Re: group projects

On Thu, 30 Mar 1995, Eileen Abrahamson wrote:
> The small "teacher as researcher" experiment that I have been conducting
> regarding grades in this classroom has demonstrated that grades are
> actually inhibitors of learning.(I realize that this is a narrow sample,
> but would be interested in some serious research that studies the effect of
> grade on student initiative and learning.)

I agree with you, Eileen. I think what you are finding out is true
(maybe even more so) in college level. I sometime wish we did not have
grades in elementary math methods courses I teach. Too many students are
concerned about their grades, not their learning, and I can't really
blame them either when they have a gpa requirement for student teaching
etc. hanging over their heads.

> Perhaps grading is not an appropriate discussion for this forum, however, I
> am increasingly aware, that we are continuing a process of evaluating
> progress that actually appears to have no research to support its
> contentions that it increases student learning.

I think grading, as a part of assessment, is a perfect topic of
discussion, as we anticipate the release of Assessment Standards.

* Tad Watanabe e-mail *
* Dept. of Mathematics watanabe-t@toe.towson.edu *
* Towson State University watanabe-t@towsonvx.bitnet *
* Towson, MD 21204 tad@midget.towson.edu *
* (410) 830 - 3585 (410) 830 - 4149 FAX *