Topic: Chapter Six--Everybody Counts
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 31, 1995 12:05 AM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Chapter Six--Everybody Counts

On Thu, 30 Mar 1995, Ronald A Ward wrote:

> I am continuing the series, starting today on page 73, with the chapter
> entitled "Change."
>
> 1. The author claims that "Only in mathematics is poor school
> performance socially acceptable," and "Only in America do adults openly
> proclaim their ignorance of mathematics as if it were some sort of merit
> badge." Is either of these true in your experience and, if so, why?

Plenty of my Japanese friends will openly admit they are not good at
math. So, it is not a unique phenomenon in the US.

> 2. Do many parents in your school district seem to believe that the
> mathematics they learned in school is adequate for their children? If
> so, how do you think we can convince them otherwise?

I think I mentioned this earlier, but, I do believe many parents say
American education is in trouble... except the schools their kids attend to.

> 3. What "hidden agenda" is masked by public discussion about
> mathematics education?

Could you clarify this question?

> 4. What lessons can we learn from previous failures at curricular
> reform? What is required from the public for effective change?

Inadequate preparation/professional development of teachers will derail
any reform attempt. I can see it happening with the Standards, too,
unfortunately.

* Tad Watanabe e-mail *
* Dept. of Mathematics watanabe-t@toe.towson.edu *
* Towson State University watanabe-t@towsonvx.bitnet *
* Towson, MD 21204 tad@midget.towson.edu *
* (410) 830 - 3585 (410) 830 - 4149 FAX *