Topic: average temperature
Replies: 7   Last Post: May 23, 1995 12:56 PM

Dr. Susan Addington

Re: average temperature

Someone answered a while ago that the average daily temperature
is the average of 24 hourly temperatures. This may be how it
is calculated, but it isn't quite right.

Suppose you are in a new building with state-of-the-art
heating and cooling controlled by a computer. Because the
bugs aren't out of the system yet, your office is heated to 90 degrees
all the time except just before the hour, when the air conditioning
kicks in and reduces the temperature to 50 degrees just in time
for the hour to strike. Then the office is rapidly heated back to 90
degrees.

Suppose you measure the temperature on the hour for your
average temperature. Will this give you a reasonable average
daily temperature? Why? What would be a better way?
Have I given enough information to really compute the average
temperature?

(Hint: the best average temperature calculation uses ideas
from calculus.)

Susan Addington (addington@gallium.csusb.edu)
Math Department, California State University
San Bernardino, CA 92407
World Wide Web: http://www.math.csusb.edu/