Topic: positive exponents
Replies: 7   Last Post: May 13, 1995 1:20 PM

Richard Stephen Lewis

Re: positive exponents

The most probable reason we eliminate negative exponents is for the same
reason we rationalize radicals in the denominator...to make the value
easier to compute in the days before calculators. For example 1/sqr(2)
would be computed by dividing 1 by 1.414 whereas if I rationalize first,
I would only have to divide 1.414 by 2. Likewise 2 raised to the -4
power could be computed by dividing 1 by 16. Now that we are in the age
of calculators and computers, some of our old rules have become not as
important.

Richard Lewis
Dulles High School
Ft. Bend I.S.D.