Topic: positive exponents
Replies: 7   Last Post: May 13, 1995 1:20 PM

Ted Alper

Re: positive exponents

Ben Dillon writes:
> they wish -1 had not been set up to mean inverse function as well as reciprocal.
> And I wonder why as well;

But the "-1" for inverse function *IS* an exponent in the group (or at least
monoid) of functions (with suitable domain and range) under composition.

in the same way f^2(x) may be interpreted as f(f(x)).

Personally, I think the problem comes from using
things like sin^2(x) to mean (sin(x))^2. It would be
more consistent to say sin^2(x) = sin(sin(x)).

Ted Alper
alper@epgy.stanford.edu