Topic: positive exponents
Replies: 7   Last Post: May 13, 1995 1:20 PM

roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu

Re: positive exponents

>John Forrest wrote:
>

>> The problem I thought I'd run into in the classroom, which has
>> NOT occurred, is the confusion of sin^-1(x)---that is, arcsin(x)---with
>> 1/sin(x)---that is, csc(x).

>Boy, I've run into this! At least a third of my Algebra II Trig students
>have asked about this in class. A gentle reminder usually works, but they
>wish -1 had not been set up to mean inverse function as well as reciprocal.
> And I wonder why as well; there are plenty of other unused symbols. I would
>have suggested an upside-down f to stand for f-inverse.
>
>Ben :D

A backwards arrow (<--) in superscript is often used for function inverse
in mathematical papers. Why not adopt it for high school?

Judy Roitman, Mathematics Department
Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66049
roitman@math.ukans.edu