Topic: Order of operations (fwd)
Replies: 12   Last Post: May 15, 1995 11:58 PM

Sandra Pratt

Order of operations (fwd)

Any answers to this question that I could forward to Kidsphere?
Sandi Pratt, Fern Hill Elementary, Tacoma, WA

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 21:06:16 EDT
To: KIDSPHERE Subscribers <kidsphere@vms.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: Order of operations

Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 16:19:41 -0400
From: JerryTaylr@aol.com

Here's a question that a student asked that has prompted an interesting
discussion among our math teachers. He said, "Can you give me an 'everyday,
real-life' example of where I would need to use the 'order of operations'
that you're teaching us?" (Parenthese, exponents, mult/div, add/sub.)The
teacher was stumped! Y'know what? So am _I_! I'm having a hard time coming up
with a practical rationale for teaching/using the order of operations. Can
some of you help?
Isn't it possible that we COULD agree to do our math IN ORDER from
left-to-right, as long as we all agree to that? (As in "reverse Polish
notation" that I learned about years ago?)