Topic: Order of operations (fwd)
Replies: 12   Last Post: May 15, 1995 11:58 PM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Order of operations (fwd)

I don't think the point is that we should teach students different orders
of operations but to help them understand why we have such rules and why
we use the one we do today.

I don't understand why going right to left will eliminate the need for
parentheses. How would (x+2)(y+3) be done in such a rule?

* Tad Watanabe *
* Dept. of Mathematics *
* Towson State University e-mail *
* Towson, MD 21204 tad@midget.towson.edu *
* (410) 830 - 3585 (410) 830 - 4149 FAX *