Topic: Applied Math
Replies: 2   Last Post: May 25, 1995 2:32 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Applied Math

On Wed, 24 May 1995 DanH150093@aol.com wrote:

> We've been running a pilot of sorts the past year with the Applied Math
> series from CORD. Another teacher has been doing it, and he says it's going
> OK. He does complain, however, that the kids don't have the basics to deal
> with it. My school is a pretty typical inner city LA school.
> Therefore, next year we'll make it a three year course with students having
> to take a basic math course using the Saxon Algebra 1/2 books before they get
> into the CORE materials.
> Ooops! I guess I mentionned a bad word... the "S" word. Books do work real
> well, the kids actually learn and remember the stuff.
> Applied Math is good in that it really addresses the school-to- work issue
> head on, without all the fuzzy and PC stuff we're seeing in some of the newer
> texts.
> BTW, has anyone read "Class Action"? It's sets out a real blueprint on how we
> can actually implement meaningful standards and institute both student and
> teacher accountability, something which is totally lacking in American
> education.
> Seems to me the NCTM standards don't have much to do with real standards.
> Every standard I've ever heard of means real objective criteria judged by
> standardized forms of assessment. And usually that means tests with real
> content that can be studied for. All I hear about lately is nonsense about
> portfolios which only show that a student once knew something some time ago.
> So there :)
> Dan Hart
> San Fernando H.S.

Well, I wouldn't want Dan to think I'm asleep at the wheel. Clearly,
everything he said is wrong. ;-). In fact, it's intuitively obvious that
everything he said is wrong. The proof is left as an exercise for the

How are things in California, Dan?

Michael Paul Goldenberg
University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
4001 School of Education Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
(313) 747-2244 email: mikegold@umich.edu