Topic: Intro to Number; counting and all that
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 7, 1995 1:00 PM

Tom Johnson

RE: Intro to Number; counting and all that

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Judith E. Jacobs wrote:

> Tom:
>
> I have a concern about the example you gave. Here
> is what I often find happening with first and second
> graders who count as you describe:

[ snip snip snip ]

> They confuse cardinality and ordinality. When asked to show you two
> pennies. They point to the second one counted. What I do when working
> on counting is to slide the pennies along. So when I say one
> penny, I move one penny over. When I say two ......

[ snip snip ]

P PP PPP PPPP PPPPP PPPPPP <-- Six groups
of pennies.

Does it help to show a series of groups of pennies? That is to say,
the first group has 1, the second group has 2, etc. If we count
the pennies in the sixth group we can count up to six, and it doesn't
matter what order we count them in. Etc. As I said, I am no expert
at this, and both my kids seem to have picked up on numbers by watching
Sesame Street.

Tom Johnson