Topic: On Competition
Replies: 8   Last Post: Nov 8, 1995 9:47 AM

Robert Wolffe

Re: On Competition

It was very nice to read the comments made by Michael Goldenberg below
which moved the focus to issues of the learner. While I agree with much of
what he wrote, I'd like to make two comments:
1. While it is true that assessment often evaluates "what you value", this
does not have to be contradictory to the idea of responsible learners. If,
by the types of activities we involve our students, we faciliate the
development of an apprecation in our students of what is important, then
assessment will also be targeted to their value system. This moves the
value choosing away from assessment and to decisions of curriculum and
instruction. The informed choices made at the instructional level should
make clear the appropriate means of assessing accomplishment. The
decision-making process which involves values should have occurred well
before we make choices about which assessment methods to use and what to
assess.
2. If we move chioce making to the instructional design level, then
educators can be both facilitator and assessor. In fact, I do not see how
we can be a facilitator without assessing. When we combine our educated
opinion and values with the experiences and preferences of our students,
then our students will see us as one who helps them learn and therefore
helps them assess how they are doing. My experience is that this formative
approach to assessment leads to good summative results when the system
requires that final results be reported (as if learning is ever final)