Topic: Getting students to take responsibility
Replies: 68   Last Post: Oct 23, 1995 11:39 AM

Peter J. Smith

Re: Getting students to take responsibility

What a great way to get students to become actively involved in their own
learning. My concern has to do with students only focusing on one
section, although the assessment results don't reflect this as a problem.
How did students perform on material other than that which they prepared
to presrent to the others? And how well do other students "tune in" to
the presentations of the other student "teachers"?

Peter Smith
Assistant Supervisor, Mathematics
Omaha Public Schools
3215 Cuming Street
Omaha, NE 68131
(402) 557-2442
psmith@ops.esu19.k12.ne.us

"Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things"
-Henri Poincare

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995 TPANITZ@mecn.mass.edu wrote:

> [...]
> so that I would not be perceived as not doing anything to help them along. (This
> is a problem with group learning. The teacher is sometimes perceived as not
> being involved when they actually are more involved helping individual groups).
> The procedure went very smoothly. Students encouraged each other and even
> clapped for especially good presentations. A good time was had and many problems
> were discussed by the end of the class.
>
> In the end all but three students made some kind of presentation. Some
> shorter than others as you might expect, some very detailed. We may have
> discovered a few budding teachers in the group. The students felt much better
> about the exercize after we completed it.
>
> Next I gave them a group test. I assigned 5 problems at a time and the
> group was responsible for getting the solutions. Each member had to write one
> problem on an answer sheet I provided. This was to prevent one person from doing
> all the work. I offered them a half a point for each correct answer to be
> tallied on the chapter test. I didn't reduce the number of problems on the test,
> just their point values. In two days we worked through 40 problems in class.
> They worked extremely hard and cooperatively. It is amazing what students will
> do for half a point. I'm not sure I would have been able to cover that many
> problems in class if I did them all myself. Finally before they exam I asked
> each student to make up a test covering all the material with their accompanying
> solutions. This helped them focus on the nature of test making and what they
> might expect. Again there was a lot of variation here but overall a good effort
> by almost all of the students.
>
> I then gave an exam to promote individual accountability and the results
> were excellent. Out of a class of 30 in the day only 3 did not pass. These were
> students who were not participating very actively in the process dispite my
> frequent interventions and exhortations. That is a subject for another
> discussion. There were 4 grades between 75-80 and the rest were above 90. The
> evening class of 27 had even better results. The lower grades were also
> predictable based upon my observation of the students level of enthusiasm for
> this approach and perhaps algebra in general.
>
> The biggest benefit for me is that I get to see students performing in every
> class and can assess their ability and level of effort before they take the
> exam. The students had a good time as evidenced by comments they made through an
> informal evaluation I did after we were through. And finally their individual
> performance demonstrated that they had mastered the material.
>
> If you have read this far I would appreciate any comments or observations you
> might have and examples of your own efforts to provide an active learning
> environment for your students. I will accumulate the results and send them out

Date Subject Author
10/4/95
Read Getting students to take responsibility
TPANITZ@mecn.mass.edu
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Peter J. Smith
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Johnny Hamilton
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Susan L. Addington
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Lutemann@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Francis Fennell
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Dr. William Tomhave
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Karen Dee Michalowicz
10/23/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Abel R. Lastra
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
DanH150093@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Virginia L. Keen
10/10/95
[...]
Ted Alper
10/10/95
[...]
clarkcc@PLU.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Ted Alper
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Francis Fennell
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/17/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Howard L. Hansen
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/19/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/19/95
Read You guys...
W Gary Martin