Topic: Getting students to take responsibility
Replies: 68   Last Post: Oct 23, 1995 11:39 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Getting students to take responsibility

At 12:59 AM 10/7/95, DanH150093@aol.com wrote:
>I have a quaint idea. Let's have content based standardized testing every
>couple of years or so and students must either pass or stay back until they
>do.

I have a quaint idea: let's have the same kind of test for teachers,
administrators, parents, etc. If a teacher or administrator doesn't pass,
s/he must take an unpaid leave of absence until s/he can pass. If a parent
doesn't pass, s/he must give up her/his kids to the other parent; if the
other parent is also a "flunkee" or if no other parent is available, the
child(ren) must be given up to an agency until the test is passed.

>Then have a leaving exam in the main subjects with the scores given from 1 to
>10. Upon graduation, students are issued a wallet-sized card suitable for
>presentation at colleges, trade schools, prospective employers, possible
>dates, etc.

Yeah, I especially like the last idea: "Hey, Sue, would you like to have
dinner with me this Friday?" Hm, I don't know, Dan. You only got a 6 on the
Leaving Exam; I never date anyone with less than an 8."

>Accompany this with the greatest PR campaign to make everybody aware of the
>new real standards (and before you all go berserk, the test is not the
>standard; it's only the assessment device).

Now that we've not all gone berserk: under this plan, it is virtually
guaranteed that the test will in fact become the sine qua non of the entire
educational process. "What you test is what you value."

>Perhaps, kids would then connect the quality of their education with
>something meaningful, like getting a job or getting into college.

As opposed to something meaningless like . . . what? Learning? Increased
ability to appreciate and enjoy art and culture?

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Michael Paul Goldenberg
|University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
|School of Education 4002 Ypsilanti, MI 48198
|Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
|(313) 747-2244

|"Truth is a mobile army of metaphors."
|Friedrich Nietzsche
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date Subject Author
10/4/95
Read Getting students to take responsibility
TPANITZ@mecn.mass.edu
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Peter J. Smith
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Johnny Hamilton
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Susan L. Addington
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Lutemann@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Francis Fennell
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Dr. William Tomhave
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Karen Dee Michalowicz
10/23/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Abel R. Lastra
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
DanH150093@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Virginia L. Keen
10/10/95
[...]
Ted Alper
10/10/95
[...]
clarkcc@PLU.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Ted Alper
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Francis Fennell
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/17/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Howard L. Hansen
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/19/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/19/95
Read You guys...
W Gary Martin