Topic: Getting students to take responsibility
Replies: 68   Last Post: Oct 23, 1995 11:39 AM

Andre TOOM

Re: Getting students to take responsibility

Here Michael Goldenberg openy defends
a right of teachers for ignorance.
Andrei Toom

On Sat, 7 Oct 1995, michael goldenberg wrote:

> At 12:59 AM 10/7/95, DanH150093@aol.com wrote:
> >I have a quaint idea. Let's have content based standardized testing every
> >couple of years or so and students must either pass or stay back until they
> >do.

> I have a quaint idea: let's have the same kind of test for teachers,
> administrators, parents, etc. If a teacher or administrator doesn't pass,
> s/he must take an unpaid leave of absence until s/he can pass. If a parent
> doesn't pass, s/he must give up her/his kids to the other parent; if the
> other parent is also a "flunkee" or if no other parent is available, the
> child(ren) must be given up to an agency until the test is passed.
>

> >Then have a leaving exam in the main subjects with the scores given from 1 to
> >10. Upon graduation, students are issued a wallet-sized card suitable for
> >presentation at colleges, trade schools, prospective employers, possible
> >dates, etc.

> Yeah, I especially like the last idea: "Hey, Sue, would you like to have
> dinner with me this Friday?" Hm, I don't know, Dan. You only got a 6 on the
> Leaving Exam; I never date anyone with less than an 8."
>

> >Accompany this with the greatest PR campaign to make everybody aware of the
> >new real standards (and before you all go berserk, the test is not the
> >standard; it's only the assessment device).

> Now that we've not all gone berserk: under this plan, it is virtually
> guaranteed that the test will in fact become the sine qua non of the entire
> educational process. "What you test is what you value."
>

> >Perhaps, kids would then connect the quality of their education with
> >something meaningful, like getting a job or getting into college.

> As opposed to something meaningless like . . . what? Learning? Increased
> ability to appreciate and enjoy art and culture?
>

> >Dan Hart
> >SFHS
> >LAUSD
> >"Los Angeles, the deductive reasoning capitol of America"

> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |Michael Paul Goldenberg
> |University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
> |School of Education 4002 Ypsilanti, MI 48198
> |Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
> |(313) 747-2244
> |
> |"Truth is a mobile army of metaphors."
> |Friedrich Nietzsche
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrei Toom toom@the-college.iwctx.edu

Date Subject Author
10/4/95
Read Getting students to take responsibility
TPANITZ@mecn.mass.edu
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Peter J. Smith
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Johnny Hamilton
10/7/95
[...]
10/9/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Susan L. Addington
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Lutemann@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Francis Fennell
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Dr. William Tomhave
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Karen Dee Michalowicz
10/23/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Abel R. Lastra
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
DanH150093@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Virginia L. Keen
10/10/95
[...]
Ted Alper
10/10/95
[...]
clarkcc@PLU.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Ted Alper
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Francis Fennell
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/17/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Howard L. Hansen
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/19/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/19/95
Read You guys...
W Gary Martin