Topic: Getting students to take responsibility
Replies: 68   Last Post: Oct 23, 1995 11:39 AM

clarkcc@PLU.edu

Re: Getting students to take responsibility

I've just been watching the conversation so far, but felt I needed to
respond to this.
Certainly lack of motivation has reached epidemic proportions in the
inner cities of America. However, I fail to see how requiring yet
another test of these students is going to increase their motivation in
any way. They don't care if they graduate; why should they care about
one more test?
Perhaps part of the problem here is that we tend to teach (speaking
generally here, not personally) inner-city kids the same way we teach
suburban, middle-class kids. The latter group typically comes to school
with at least some idea that they should try to succeed in school. This
attitude carries over to tests; the students try to do well on tests
because it is expected. This is just part of the middle-class culture.
Judging from your comments, such is obviously not the case in inner-city
communities; so why should another test mean anything at all to them???
I should note that I don't mean this as a personal attack. I'm
honestly interested in hearing more about how and why promotion tests
would motivate students.
Chris Clark
Pacific Lutheran University

On Wed, 11 Oct 1995 DanH150093@aol.com wrote:

> At this point, in many places in this country, arguing about the efficacy of
> standardized tests is a silly enterprise. It is so completely ludicrous to
> question these tests when the presense of them might tackle a REAL problem.
>
> In the inner city, lack of student motivation is profound and deep. On any
> day 1/6 of our student body is absent. Getting them to do homework is a task
> difficult beyond belief. At Open House 10% of the parents show. Student
> motivation (perhaps THE most important component for educational success) is
> almost totally lacking in a very large minority of our students.
>
> We need real tests to help us motivate our kids. You don't pass; you aren't
> promoted!! It's very simple. The only people seemingly incapable of
> understanding are the reforming educrats.
>
> When is somebody going to come and help us? It gets terribly frustrating at
> times, particularly when you read the nonsense known as the NCTM "Standards".
> Standards my %^&*((.
>
> Dan

Date Subject Author
10/4/95
Read Getting students to take responsibility
TPANITZ@mecn.mass.edu
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Peter J. Smith
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Johnny Hamilton
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Susan L. Addington
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Lutemann@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Francis Fennell
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Dr. William Tomhave
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Karen Dee Michalowicz
10/23/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Abel R. Lastra
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
DanH150093@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Virginia L. Keen
10/10/95
[...]
Ted Alper
10/10/95
[...]
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Francis Fennell
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/17/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Howard L. Hansen
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/19/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/19/95
Read You guys...
W Gary Martin