Topic: Getting students to take responsibility
Replies: 68   Last Post: Oct 23, 1995 11:39 AM

Susan L. Addington

Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)

I'd like to start an offshoot of this discussion.
Mike, commenting on Dan Hart's situation (Los Angeles city school), noted
a possible lack of admistrative support.

Most of the teachers I know in California have an average class size
of about 36. This includes an elementary school teacher I worked
with several years ago whose class included 26 6th graders and 10 5th
graders. (So she had to juggle separate social studies curricula,
for example). Some high school teachers I know have had classes
as big as 50, because the average class size for the school
was kept low (!) by small specialized classes in other categories.

On my trip from California to Minnesota recently, I visited the
2nd grade classroom of Cindy Chapman in Albuquerque (a faithful
contributor to this list). There were about 18 kids. I directed
a math activity (discrete math; details available on request)
which I thought worked well. Part of the reason is that Cindy
is an excellent, experienced teacher, and her class this year
is especially bright and cooperative, but I suspect that
a big part of the reason is that the class is a manageable size.

I'd like to hear comments on the relation between class size
and mathematical learning (if any) and teacher burnout.
(And are my California class size observations accurate?)

Susan Addington
Academic year 1995-6: The rest of the time:
addingto@geom.umn.edu susan@math.csusb.edu
The Geometry Center Math Department
1300 South 2nd St., Suite 500 California State University
Minneapolis, MN 55454 San Bernardino, CA 92407
(612) 624-5058 (909) 880-5362
fax: (612) 626-7131 fax: (909) 880-7119
WWW: http://www.math.csusb.edu/susan/

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, michael goldenberg wrote:

> Teaching from such a perspective requires both courage and a great deal of
> administrative support. I would guess from many of your posts that you
> don't have a lot of the latter. I would further speculate that some of your
> pedagogic cynicism, pessimism, and conservativism (or at least what I
> perceive as being so) stems from a sense of the potential for you to wind
> up drowning in a situation that seems hopeless unless ruled with a fairly
> iron hand.

Date Subject Author
10/4/95
Read Getting students to take responsibility
TPANITZ@mecn.mass.edu
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Peter J. Smith
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Johnny Hamilton
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Susan L. Addington
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Lutemann@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Francis Fennell
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Dr. William Tomhave
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Karen Dee Michalowicz
10/23/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Abel R. Lastra
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
DanH150093@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Virginia L. Keen
10/10/95
[...]
Ted Alper
10/10/95
[...]
clarkcc@PLU.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Ted Alper
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Francis Fennell
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/17/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Howard L. Hansen
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/19/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/19/95
Read You guys...
W Gary Martin