Topic: Getting students to take responsibility
Replies: 68   Last Post: Oct 23, 1995 11:39 AM

Francis Fennell

Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)

Tad, et al.

I agree with Tad (see below), but more importantly the issue is too
complex (teaching) to limit it to a single variable (class size). Issues
like respect for the teacher, attention span, classroom management, etc.
are become part of this complex equation. HOWEVER, I have ALWAYS felt
that things worked better (for ME) with smaller classes. I felt better,
knew them better, was more relaxed, got things back to them more quickly
and with greater attention to their responses, etc. So, while I
acknowledge and truly believe it is not just class size, I'd probably
double its impact within the equation of teaching success, satisfaction, etc.

Skip Fennell
Western Maryland College
and
NCTM Board of Directors

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Tad Watanabe wrote:

> I don't think class size is really the issue. Japanese high schools (and
> elementary schools, too) usually have rather large number of students.
> When I was in high school in Japan, there were 45 students in most of the
> classes. About 5 years ago, when I visited the school to observe math
> lessons, one class had 50 or more students in the room. And, I'm sure
> there are many excellent math classes in the US with 40 or more students
> in the room. The real issue seems is to identify what it is that makes
> those teachers to teach so effectively in that circumstance. Discussing
> classroom size in vacuum seems to be a fruitless endeavor, IMHO.
>
> Tad Watanabe
> Towson State University
> Towson, Maryland
>

> On Mon, 9 Oct 1995 Lutemann@aol.com wrote:
>

> > In a message dated 95-10-09 20:32:06 EDT, addingto@geom.umn.edu (Susan L.
> > Addington) writes:
> >

> > >d like to hear comments on the relation between class size
> > >and mathematical learning (if any) and teacher burnout.
> > >(And are my California class size observations accurate?)

> > Any math class greater than 18 is a waste of time. 12 to 15 is the perfect
> > number for just about any teaching/learning situation in that you can
> > individualize the instruction and/or teach them as a class. The cut off at
> > our school is 18 per class. Of course we have special funding (half from the
> > state half from industry) so we don't have to put up with the capriciousness
> > of the white-psycho-conservative-tax revolting- trailer park nitwits (you
> > know who you are) who don't think that children out our future.
> >
> > Kent
> >
> > Kent

Date Subject Author
10/4/95
Read Getting students to take responsibility
TPANITZ@mecn.mass.edu
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Peter J. Smith
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Johnny Hamilton
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Susan L. Addington
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Lutemann@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Francis Fennell
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Dr. William Tomhave
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Karen Dee Michalowicz
10/23/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Abel R. Lastra
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
DanH150093@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Virginia L. Keen
10/10/95
[...]
Ted Alper
10/10/95
[...]
clarkcc@PLU.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Ted Alper
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Francis Fennell
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/17/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Howard L. Hansen
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/19/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/19/95
Read You guys...
W Gary Martin