Topic: Getting students to take responsibility
Replies: 68   Last Post: Oct 23, 1995 11:39 AM

Abel R. Lastra

Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)

Getting students to take responsibility in the classroom setting and at home.
You have mentioned that at one time you had no less than 35
students,indeed this must have been a courageous alternative that you had
faced if there was no other to take;as you know in the present time
having 35 children present in the classroom, undoubtedly provides us with problems
ranging from classroom size,children behavior, and also that the class is
not an homogeneous class . What alternatives of teaching did you use for
a successful class.?
I am curious about the differences between the teaching procedures
adopted then and the one that you are faceing now. On the one hand, it seems
that today students have different needs and also have no control over
their acctions as such more and more students tend to rebel against the current
rules and regulations such as testing that are imposed upon them; on
the other hand, it seems to me that if we do not work closely with the
parents at home little teachers, boosk and resources cand do to improve the current underachievement of our students.
Consequently,I think that teachesr should not be considered or regarded
as the sole entity that provides curricular instruction, rather it takes a group
effort such as the teacher, the student and the parents for a
successful transition in achieving in school. Would you please comment
about this conjecture .Also would you please comment regareding to
behavioral patterns that some of your students back in the 60's showed and how it
diffesr with the students that you are teaching now.
Abel R. Lastra---Arl9668@nyu.educ
On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Karen Dee Michalowicz wrote:

> Dear Readers,
>
> For 23 of my 33 years in teaching I had no less than 35
> students in each of my classes. One year I had six sections.
> When I first started teaching in the early sixty's,
> between 40-50 was the rule. I'm glad I was young when I had
> those big classes. I don't know if I would have the energy
> now. I commend each and every teacher with a large class. It
> is never easy, even with the best students. There is so, so
> much paper work.
>
> Now my largest class is never more than 23. Usually, the
> average is 16-18. Yes, I'm in a private school. I have five
> classes and five preps. But, I don't have 150 students to
> evaluate. I have 85. Small classes mean more room for the
> students and for me. It means less noise. I could go on and
> on. Ten years (give or take a couple of years) I read an
> article that stated research had indicated that 15 was an
> optimal size. I am convinced that is so.
>
> I also believe there would be less fuss with ability grouping
> if there were small classes. The teacher would have the time
> to differentiate.
> --
>
> Cheers!
>
> Karen Dee
>
> Math History Lives!
>
> Karen Dee Michalowicz VQUEST Math Lead Teacher/Trainer
> Upper School Mathematics Chair Virginia Quality Education
> The Langley School in Sciences and Technology
> 1411 Balls Hill Rd, McLean, VA
> 22012 USA
> 703-356-1920(w) E-Mail: kmichalo@pen.k12.va.us
> Fax: (703) 790-9712 --or-- KarenDM@aol.com

Date Subject Author
10/4/95
Read Getting students to take responsibility
TPANITZ@mecn.mass.edu
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Peter J. Smith
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Johnny Hamilton
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Susan L. Addington
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Lutemann@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Francis Fennell
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Dr. William Tomhave
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Karen Dee Michalowicz
10/23/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Abel R. Lastra
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
DanH150093@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Virginia L. Keen
10/10/95
[...]
Ted Alper
10/10/95
[...]
clarkcc@PLU.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Ted Alper
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Francis Fennell
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/17/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Howard L. Hansen
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/19/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/19/95
Read You guys...
W Gary Martin