Topic: Getting students to take responsibility
Replies: 68   Last Post: Oct 23, 1995 11:39 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)

At 12:40 PM 10/11/95, Virginia L. Keen wrote:
>In a presentation at an NCTM regional this weekend, Harold Stevenson
>presented some data indicating that Japanese teachers teach 13 - 15 hours
>of class per week. This does not seem to fit with what was noted below.
>Ginny

I hate to contradict a fellow Wolverine, but according to Professor Hiroshi
Usui of Hokkaido University in Sapporo, who spent a year visiting U of M at
the institute Harold Stevenson and his colleagues have set up, some of the
picture painted about Japanese education by Stevenson, et. al., is
overly-positive. Prof. Usui, an education professor, seemed to think that
the statistics being offered as representing the actual teaching load of
Japanese instructors are skewed toward the low end. Our conversations in
April and May of 1993 led me to the impression that some of this was due to
confusion about and unintentional misinterpretation of what most teachers
in Japan are expected to do.

Since I am in no position to determine what the most accurate picture would
be, I can only offer that based on my reading and discussions both with
Prof. Usui and some American colleagues who have lived in Japan
extensively, I think that there are two distinct Japanese school systems:
the first, which is the one upon which Harold Stevenson and others tend to
heap praise, is K-7. The other, about which many Japanese educators have
expressed concern because it is so high-pressured and test-driven, is the
8-12 (I may not be splitting this precisely in the right place). When I was
speaking with Prof. Usui about the exam system in Japan, he told me how
worried he was for his son who was just entering the phase of his education
where the national exams begin to take precedence over everything. Among
other things, he commented on the inordinate amount of trivia that Japanese
students are expected to know and mentioned that his son wanted to know
about some mining region in northern Michigan that was being covered in
preparation for the test. Having grown up in New Jersey, I confessed that I
had never heard of it. But Hiroshi assured me that such details are legion
on the Japanese college entrance exams. If someone could enlighten me (and
Prof. Usui) as to the vital importance of such information to the vast
majority of Japanese college students, I'd be grateful.

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Michael Paul Goldenberg
|University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
|School of Education 4002 Ypsilanti, MI 48198
|Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
|(313) 747-2244

|"Truth is a mobile army of metaphors."
|Friedrich Nietzsche
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date Subject Author
10/4/95
Read Getting students to take responsibility
TPANITZ@mecn.mass.edu
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Peter J. Smith
10/5/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Johnny Hamilton
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Andre TOOM
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/7/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/9/95
Read Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Susan L. Addington
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Lutemann@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Francis Fennell
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Dr. William Tomhave
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/9/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Karen Dee Michalowicz
10/23/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Abel R. Lastra
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
DanH150093@aol.com
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Tad Watanabe
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Bill Juraschek
10/10/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Class size (Re: Getting students to take responsibility)
Virginia L. Keen
10/10/95
[...]
Ted Alper
10/10/95
[...]
clarkcc@PLU.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Lutemann@aol.com
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Ted Alper
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/11/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Francis Fennell
10/13/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
10/17/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Howard L. Hansen
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/18/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/19/95
Read Re: Getting students to take responsibility
DanH150093@aol.com
10/19/95
Read You guys...
W Gary Martin