Topic: Math Prefixes
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 25, 1995 5:14 PM

Rebecca Corwin

Re: Math Prefixes

Reply to: RE>>Math Prefixes

I seem to remember that the September-October-November-December run of names
were from the Greek calendar, and January etc. were a Roman overlay. There
have been different numbers of days in months, and in some cultures that made
ten months instead of (our) twelve. The first eight are Roman--January after
Janus, the god who looks both forward and back, February after something I've
forgotten, Mars was the god of war, I forget April, May, Iunius was something
special, Iulius another (were these two Caesars?? or gods? or both?) Augustus
for wisdom, for sure.

--------------------------------------
Date: 10/24/95 10:12 AM
To: Rebecca Corwin
From: Sam Evers
Eileen,

Thanks for ruining my day. Now I'm going to be thinking about
"months" all day long. It has never occured to me that September,
etc. were named with prefixes. The only explanation I can see is that
these months were indeed seven through ten on some calendar at some
time. However, if ANYONE has an explanation that they are certain of,
please post it for Eileen's students and for my sanity.

On 10/23 Eileen was talking about prefixes:

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 08:44:43 CST
From: "Sam Evers" <severs@bamanet.ua.edu>
Encoding: 20 Text
To: nctm-l@forum.swarthmore.edu