Topic: Teaching Algebra
Replies: 25   Last Post: May 10, 2000 2:26 PM

Barron, Alfred [PRI]

RE: Teaching Algebra

Jaime Escalente's story is well told in both the Mathews' book and
the movie. It's probably the only school movie not involving a football
or HS prom as its high point, or with East LA kids not involving a
knifing or drug o.d.

As for his secret, as he put it "ganas". Roughly translated into
English - the 'urge' or 'desire' to do something. Though perhaps, it's
more laced with passion, that is the passion to want to learn (and
teach.)

Now maybe that's a bit hard for most to swallow, but then again,
it worked for this guy. After all, he got these kids up to speed and
after a while had them doing calculus. Not bad for a poor district.

So when people challenge me on algebra for all 8th graders, I think
of this guy and remember what he did.

Al Barron
Metuchen, NJ