Topic: Count all the votes
Replies: 11   Last Post: Nov 15, 2000 11:56 PM

Greg Goodknight

Re: Count all the votes

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald Von Korff <vonkoent@cloudnet.com>

>Count everyone's votes!!! Count them correctly: our democracy depends
>upon it.

How many times should each vote be counted? Every Florida precinct has had
at least two full counts; some have already been counted four times.

How has it been proven that the hand count is more accurate than the machine
count when the vote is contained on a paper punch card with no particular
features? How many hours can counters be on the job without their error rate
increasing? What is the guarantee that the physical state of the card is
substantially the same as the voter left it after the fourth count? What is
more important, that the card be tallied as the voter left it, or should the
manual recount personnel be tasked with intuiting the intent of the voter
when deciding what the vote is to be?

Be careful what you ask for; you may get it. Whoever wins will have a very
difficult (and probably short) time in office.

-Greg

PS The only things we can be sure of is that there is one Florida election
supervisor whose name is now Mudd, their "butterfly ballot" will be a Jay
Leno staple for some time to come and there will be a lot of new voting
machines sold in the next two years.