Topic: Count all the votes
Replies: 11   Last Post: Nov 15, 2000 11:56 PM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
RE: Count all the votes

I'm sorry, but Jody's post is itself a political statement. Why is it
significant that the 2nd graders could do the punch cards so well? Does that
say something about math? Or is it a left-handed slap at the intelligence,
competence, and/or eyesight of the elderly Jewish and African-American
voters who screwed up? Please don't tell me that your mention of that was
just a neutral comment. And who decides, exactly, what is and is not
on-point? You? Greg? Me? Victor? A machine?

Michael Paul Goldenberg
Washtenaw Technical Middle College
LA 230K
Ann Arbor, MI 48106
(o)734 477-8560 (h) 734 482-0497
mikegold@wccnet.org mikegold@umich.edu
http://courses.wccnet.org/~mikegold/
"Truth is a mobile army of metaphors." Nietzsche

Or this story on 2nd graders voting for their favorite Disney
character using that ballot:

While these are interesting stories, are they good samples? What can
we do with them with our students?

Another lesson comes to mind on modeling what happens when any 2
people count a large amount of cards with more than 2 categories in
them -- will it come out the same both times?

Can we get anything other than statistics and probability examples?

Greg Goodknight's post was trying to get at some issues, and though
they weren't strictly about math, they were about testing and
reliability. I would be very interested to see some answers to his
questions. Does anyone have references to the tests that have been
done on the ballot counting and the machines?

(Btw, my experience with punch cards tells me that the problem is not
that the punch hole did not come out completely, but that the card
reader reads more than one card at once. These old machines need to
be tuned on a regular basis. But I didn't hear that reason from the
media. So much for believing what the media tells you about
something you know. But I digress. (But I'm not flaming another
poster!) )

Here's to talking about math and teaching math. Can we get on track?

-Jody

--
Jody S. Underwood, Ph.D.
Educational Technologist & Research Associate 610-544-3644 x213