Topic: Count all the votes
Replies: 11   Last Post: Nov 15, 2000 11:56 PM

Ed Wall

RE: Count all the votes

Jody

You are posing some quite interesting questions which generally have
not addressed by much of anybody in a careful way. However, some of the
comments I have heard make the following points: This type of ballot does
cause problems (as do other types for this matter) and that has been
documented in a number of places besides Palm Beach (places where, as near
as I can tell, that Democrats nor Republicans have challenged) so there is
probably some difficulty with this sample of 2nd graders (100% is a bit too
high). Some possibilities are the ballot used in Palm Beach is, in some
fashion, different than used by the 2nd graders. The instructions given to
the second graders is different than that given to the Palm Beach folk.
Second graders tend to follow instructions more carefully than us older
folk. The second graders' ballots were hand-scored under different
criteria. And so on. Largeness may not be relevant. But representative is a
good question.

However, on the other hand, if one were to say that this is a bit of
Republician statistical proproganda, it is not much worse than something
others might say is Demcoratic statistical propogranda. In both cases, what
we have are what one might term analyses which falter on the concept of
representations. But this is where statistics always falters. And
statistical analyses in the social sciences are, in my opinion, inherently
problematic (but I have mathematical suspicions about the natural sciences
- smile). Anyway this analysis, as others favoring other views, does seem
to say that, as one colleague has remarked, the Palm Beach fiasco (and he
generously includes both, I think rightly, Democrats and Republicans) is
not quite as it has been painted by whoever. That is perhaps useful and
something that might definitely be considered by some of our more
entrenched comrades, but it is tenuous at best.

But all this raises some interesting questions as to just what statistics
is doing in the social sciences, and even more interesting is how are we to
interpret the numbers so generously generated.

Oh, thank you for your polite reply to Michael. In my opinion, he certainly
didn't deserve it.

Ed Wall