The Math Forum

Topic: Changing the axis
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 15, 1996 12:09 AM

Vincent R. Johns

Re: Changing the axis

Anderson Brasil da Silva wrote:

> Let y=sin(x), y'=x e x'=-x. In relation to these new axis x' e y',
> what's the formula of this sine function? I could to express the
> function in a proper form of a very large limit, but I would like to
> know if it's elemental.
> Thanks in advance, and excuse me the mistakes in the english.
>
> Anderson Brasil
> alexbrasil@ax.ibase.org.br

It looks as if your new axes do not involve the original y (the "sin(x)") at
all.

If you meant to exchange axes (y' = x, x' = -y), then (within limits) you
probably want the inverse sine (arc-sine) function.

-- Vincent Johns