Topic: Schoolroom Math Poems
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jul 1, 1996 6:07 AM

Xcott Craver

Re: Schoolroom Math Poems

B.D.S.McConnell <mcconnel@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>Hello ...
>
> To the Tune of "The Barney Song"
>
> Vee-dee-you (plus) You-dee-vee;
> That's the "dee" of You-times-Vee.
> So remember when the Product Rule you do:
> DON'T you say dee-vee dee-you!
>Don

I am reminded of the first part of the, wossit, MIT cheer?

E-to-the-u, du dx
E-to-the-x dx!
Cosine Tangent Secant Sine
Three-point-one-four-one-five-nine!
&c &c....

One of my math buddies learned a similar poem for the quotient
rule when she was in high school. I forget it -- I may email her -- but
I know it begins with...

If the derivative you need to know,
It's low-dee-high less high-dee-low.

Anyone else learn this one?

.,-::::: :::. ....:::::: @niu.edu -- http://www.math.niu.edu/~caj/
[[[ ,[[ '[[, ''` `[[. "I'd like a large order of FiboNachos."
$$$ c$$$cc$$$c ,,, `$$ "Okay sir, that'll cost as much as a
`88bo,__,o, 888 888,888boood88 small order and a medium order combined."