Topic: currculum support for use of calculators on GED 2002
Replies: 17   Last Post: Jul 22, 2004 12:26 PM

Esther D Leonelli

Re: currculum support for use of calculators on GED 2002

Maggie - I've used the following for sources of ideas for activities and
investigations (in workshops for ABE/GED teachers on using scientific
calculators to teach problem-solving for the GED 2002):

C.J. Dockweiler, Jane F. Schielack. 1992. "Calculator Activities
for the Classroom." Calculators in Mathematics Education, 1992
Yearbook. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of
Mathematics. [Note: the whole yearbook is full of ideas on
using calculators in the classroom.]

Janet Morris. 1981. How to Develop Problem Solving Using a
Calculator. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathe-
matics. [Note: this was written for the 4-function calculator.]

and also the following web-sites:

CASIO CLASSROOM http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~ucfcasio/casio.htm
[Note: the "approved" calculator for the GED is the
CASIO fx-260 Solar model.]

DEVENS LEARNING CENTER HOMEPAGE
http://www.net1plus.com/users/devenslc/abeged.html

A daily activity/warm-up I use with my students is "Number of the Day"
where I ask them to come up with numerical expressions for a number either
I or someone in the class chooses. Scientific calculators are available
for them to use as they wish -- to explore factors or expressions or to
check their answers.

Esther Leonelli

-If you have any questions e-mail edl@world.std.com