Topic: can someone help with definition?
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 18, 1996 6:47 AM

kerry shaklee

Re: can someone help with definition?

In <4p5244$2fq@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> Alan \"Uncle Al\" Schwartz
<uncleal0@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>shysong@ruf.rice.edu (Sylvia J. Hysong) wrote:

>>In article <4p14iq$r83@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,
>>eddta@ix.netcom.com(7tom eddington ) wrote:
>>

>>> can someone help with the definition of Cognitive Disonance? tell
>>> me all you know about it. I am using this in one of those Quality
>>> programs to get some inside scope on why and why not people do
>>> what they do.

> [snip]
>
>Cognitive dissonance is the cerebral friction among morals (the way

the
>game should be played), ethics (the way the game really is played),
and
>life (the way you play the game). Cf: see Hypocrisy; situational
>ethics,
>
>--
>Alan "Uncle Al" Schwartz
>UncleAl0@ix.netcom.com ("zero" before @)
>http://www.netprophet.co.nz/uncleal/
> (Toxic URL! Hazardous to children, Democrats, and most mammals.)
>"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" The Net!
>
>Cognitive dissonance

The mentally painful recognition that in one's belief system there
co-exist two (or more) mutually exclusive paradigms. At this moment,
conceptual change occurs, thus, learning.