Topic: Sammon Mapping?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 14, 1996 6:26 AM

Jonathan G Campbell

Re: Sammon Mapping?

Paul Andrew Watters wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a good introductory book chapter
> or article on Sammon Mapping and potential
> applications? Thank you.

Duda & Hart (1973) (pp. 243..) has coverage of it. Ripley (1996) has a
page or so -- mainly updates concerning computational efficiency.

Over and above the original paper, is there really that much to be said?
Applications: anywhere you wnat to examine the sturcture of
n-dimensional data on a 2-d. plot.

The White (1972)and Pykett (1978) references below also address
ecomputational efficiency issues.

@Book{duda-hart,
author="R.O. Duda and P.E. Hart",
year= 1973,
title= "Pattern Classification and Scene Analysis",
edition = "",
publisher="New York: John Wiley and Sons"
}

@Book{ripley ,
author = "B.D. Ripley",
title = "Pattern Recognition and Neural Networks",
publisher = "Cambridge University Press",
year = "1996"
}

I. White, 1972??, Comment on " A Nonlinear Mapping for Data Structure
Analysis", IEEE Trans Computers, Feb.

C.E. Pykett, 1978, Improving the Efficiency of Sammon's Nonlinear
Mapping by Using Clustering Archetypes, Electronics Letters, Vol. 14,
No. 25, December.

Regards,

Jon Campbell.
--
|~ Jonathan G Campbell, ISC/ISE, University of Ulster, Magee College, ~|
| Derry, BT48 7JL, Northern Ireland. tel +44 1504 375367, fax 370040 |