Topic: "Representative sampling?"
Replies: 10   Last Post: Nov 4, 2000 2:57 PM

Jerry Dallal

Re: "Representative sampling?"

"Ross J. Micheals" wrote:

> Is there a statistical definition of "representative sampling?" That is,
> is there a way to show that a sampling strategy will yield (within some
> tolerance) a sample that is "representative" of the population? For
> example, given a sampling strategy with replacement, clearly, if I
> always choose the same member/person in my population, then this is
> *not* a representative sample (I always get the same person!) What sort
> of sampling schemes *are* "representative" (if this is even a meaningful
> concept, statistically), and how can one show this?
>
> References or thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I don't know if there really is such a formal, technical term
as representative sample. What matters for a statistician
(insofar as generalizability is concerned) is whether the elements
of the sample were obtained by using a probability-based method that
can be described fully.