Topic: New project: certification in statistics
Replies: 17   Last Post: Nov 20, 2000 3:14 PM

Henry

Re: New project: certification in statistics

>Ron Hardin wrote:

>> How do you feel about manual recounts in Florida?

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:36:54 -0500, Thomas Kragh
<tkraghNOSPAM@NOSPAMeecs.umich.edu> wrote:
>About the same as I feel about the use of an "Actual Enumeration" during
>the census. A manual recount is obviously less accurate then a machine
>tally, but for some bizaare reason the luddites & politicians in our
>society believe it to be better in some sense...

The two issues are very different.

And the evidence seems to be that places with manual counts have fewer
spoiled ballots than those with machine counts.