Topic: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Replies: 26   Last Post: Jan 28, 1999 2:59 PM

Antreas P. Hatzipolakis

Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board

In article <36a89455.15687811@news.demon.co.uk>, brian@brisk.demon.co.uk
(Brian Skinner) wrote:

> "sbsrd92" <sbsrd92@sopra.com> wrote:
>

> > Of course, I assume there is only one piece on the board : the knight.
> > Does it depends on the square the Knight is starting?

> From the Oxford Companion to Chess:
>
> "KNIGHT'S TOUR, the tour of a knight over an otherwise empty board
> visiting each square once only. There is almost an infinity of ways of
> achieving this and more than 122,000,000 ways of performing the more
> restricted version known as the re-entrant tour, in which the knight
> on its 64th move could get back to its starting square...."
>
> Obviously, a re-entrant tour can start on any square.
>
> --
> Brian

On-line papers in .ps format:

1.

Martin Loebbing, Ingo Wegener: The Number of Knight's Tours Equals
33,439,123,484,294 -- Counting with Binary Decision Diagrams
ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-trier.de/pub/Users-CTVD/eccc/reports/1995/TR95-047/Paper.ps

======================================

2.

http://cs.anu.edu.au/people/bdm/papers/knights.ps.gz
http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/papers/knights.ps.gz
http://cs.anu.edu.au/publications/eljc/Volume_3/Comments/v3i1r5.01.ps
http://cs.anu.edu.au/publications/eljc/Volume_3/Comments/v3i1r5.01.ps
http://cirm.univ-mrs.fr/EMIS/journals/EJC/Volume_3/Comments/v3i1r5.01.ps
ftp://ftp.maths.tcd.ie/pub/EMIS/journals/EJC/Volume_3/Comments/v3i1r5.01.ps
ftp://cirm.univ-mrs.fr/pub/EMIS/journals/EJC/Volume_3/Comments/v3i1r5.01.ps

Antreas

Date Subject Author
1/18/99
Read Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
sbsrd92
1/18/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Domnei
1/18/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Brian Skinner
1/18/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Russ Garratt
1/18/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Dirk Vormann
1/18/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Brian Skinner
1/19/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Dave Rusin
1/20/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
1/18/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Edward D. Collins
1/18/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
mburkett@montana.com
1/19/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
bords@my-dejanews.com
1/19/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Edward D. Collins
1/21/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
D A S Vivash
1/21/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Brian Skinner
1/23/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
D A S Vivash
1/23/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Joost de Heer
1/23/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the
Clive Tooth
1/23/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Edward D. Collins
1/24/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Brian Skinner
1/19/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
brian tivol
1/19/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
KSchmidt10
1/20/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
b_redeker@hotmail.com
1/20/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
KSchmidt10
1/19/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Ed Seedhouse
1/21/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
GWYNN HOLBROOK
1/21/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Fred Galvin
1/28/99
Read Re: Minimal number of move for a Knight to go on every square of the board
Steven E. Hoell