Topic: Infinite matrices
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 6, 1996 4:06 AM

D.J. Wilkinson

Re: Infinite matrices

Stany De Smedt (sdesmedt@is1.bfu.vub.ac.be) wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where I can find information about infinite dimensional
> matrices. More particular I need information about the determinant of
> such matrices if this exist. I wonder whether there is a definition of
> the type.

You need to find out about Functional analysis. Matrices are
representations of linear operators on or between (usually finite
dimensional) vector spaces. The extension to the infinite dimensional case
is not trivial. If you want a book, I suggest Kreyszig's "Introductory
functional analysis with applications", but be prepared to do a lot of
reading and thinking!

--
Dr Darren Wilkinson e-mail

WWW