Topic: Q: Engineering or Math?
Replies: 33   Last Post: Nov 24, 1997 4:42 PM

Frank Miles

Re: Q: Engineering or Math?

In article <un2j1dtt1.fsf@_delete_mvt.ie>, <PeterK@_delete_mvt.ie> wrote:
>fpm@u.washington.edu (Frank Miles) writes:
>

>> I've talked
>> with quite a few Ph.D. EE students who would have been mathematicians,
>> except that they realized that the prospects for making a semi-decent
>> salary after graduation was much better with the EE than the math
>> diploma. Looking at their dissertations, one sees propositions, theorems,
>> proofs,...

>And what is wrong with that?! In many DSP applications it is
>imperative that theoretical understanding of the problems (and
>algorithms used to solve them in practice) is achieved before any
>advances can be made. People would still be stuck at the 33kbaud
>modem (instead of the 56kbaud achievable now) if PhD students
>hadn't proved theorems !!
>
>Peter "Yes I did prove a few theorems in my PhD" Kootsookos!

Absolutely nothing. I'm was simply trying to point out that the difference
between math and engineering can decline as one advances (in some, but
definitely not all realms of engineering). Previous postings seemed
to indicate that there was some chasm between the two; I'd say there
wasn't. Prolonging the time the 'average' engineer-to-be is willing to
tolerate mathematical theory before seeing how it might have relevance
to engineering problems is a more difficult matter. This is particularly
the case when many lower level jobs, for instance using off-the-shelf
digital technology, don't require the same level of skills as, for another
instance, analog technologies. Engineers are often attracted to the
latest technology de jure; only later will they find out that the basic
mathematics and science have a greater long-term payoff in many respects.

-frank

course, is a temporary situation.

Date Subject Author
11/12/97
Read Q: Engineering or Math?
kdieudonX@spacey.net
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Ken Davis
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Chris Griffin
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Robert Israel
11/18/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Louis M. Pecora
11/18/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Hanspeter Schmid
11/18/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Frank Miles
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Hanspeter Schmid
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
John van Veen
11/22/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Edward leibnitz
11/23/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Terry Moore
11/19/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
PeterK@_delete_mvt.ie
11/19/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Frank Miles
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Hanspeter Schmid
11/21/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
nobody@nowhere.on.ca
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Alan J. Livingston
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Tom Bryan
Sam @ The NIMP Team
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Balden, Ron
11/14/97
Read Re: Engineering or Math?
Rui Santos
11/14/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
cbarker
11/15/97
Read Re: Engineering or Math?
Sergio Gonzalez Lopez
11/17/97
Read Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Herman Rubin
11/19/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Elvis Presley
11/20/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Herman Rubin
11/22/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Elvis Presley
11/24/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Herman Rubin
11/24/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Milo Gardner
11/24/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Jim Carr
11/19/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Pertti Lounesto
11/15/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Perry W. Stout