Topic: Q: Engineering or Math?
Replies: 33   Last Post: Nov 24, 1997 4:42 PM

Arvind Kumar

Re: Q: Engineering or Math?

kdieudonX@spacey.net wrote:

> As an electrical engineer with a BS, I'm frustrated by not knowing all the
> math I need to fully grasp the theories involved in many areas of my job.
> For example, the statistical skill necessary in the analyzation of noise or
> in evaluating or simulating data. Also, I wish I understood the realm of
> orthogonal functions more to better understand communications/digital signal
> processing coding ideas better. My question is basically this: I have
> heard it said from the engineering side that mathematicians are not worthy
> of as much respect as engineers because what they learn is far afield--even
> the applied math being somewhat suspect. Still, isn't it better to learn
> the math first and apply it later? As engineers we seem to limit ourselves
> to learning just the part that is useful to us and not one bit extra. What
> do you math people have to say about this? Do you agree that studying math
> gives you a greater perspective than the engineer? Do you think that your
> work is worth the time you've put into it? I ask because I am considering
> leaning more toward math and less toward engineering in my future education.
> I would love to hear your opinions.

I did my Bachelor's in Math and Master's in Engineering. It is not true
that
applied math is suspect. eventually, if you do go into research in areas
such
as Signal processing, you will be needing a lot of math.
I think your decision to learn more math than engineering is correct
because you
will eventually have learnt more by learning the theory behind what you
do than
just the end results.

Good Luck,
-Arvind

Date Subject Author
11/12/97
Read Q: Engineering or Math?
kdieudonX@spacey.net
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Ken Davis
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Chris Griffin
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Robert Israel
11/18/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Louis M. Pecora
11/18/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Hanspeter Schmid
11/18/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Frank Miles
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Hanspeter Schmid
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
John van Veen
11/22/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Edward leibnitz
11/23/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Terry Moore
11/19/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
PeterK@_delete_mvt.ie
11/19/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Frank Miles
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Hanspeter Schmid
11/21/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
nobody@nowhere.on.ca
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Alan J. Livingston
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Tom Bryan
Sam @ The NIMP Team
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Balden, Ron
11/14/97
Read Re: Engineering or Math?
Rui Santos
11/14/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
cbarker
11/15/97
Read Re: Engineering or Math?
Sergio Gonzalez Lopez
11/17/97
Read Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Herman Rubin
11/19/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Elvis Presley
11/20/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Herman Rubin
11/22/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Elvis Presley
11/24/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Herman Rubin
11/24/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Milo Gardner
11/24/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Jim Carr
11/19/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Pertti Lounesto
11/15/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Perry W. Stout