The Math Forum

Topic: Texture Analysis and Wavelets
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 14, 1996 1:50 PM

Jonathan G Campbell

Re: Texture Analysis and Wavelets

MPP95ANS wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Iam a PG Res student working on the problem of finding features (Primarily
> through Texture Analysis) in Medical Ultrasound Images to detect diseases
> like cancer in the early stage.
>
> I recently came across Wavelets. My questions are :
>
> (i) Can Wavelets be applied to find Textural features of Images ?
> (ii) Are there any relevant work done in this direction ?
> (iii) If I want to know more about Wavelets (for implementation) where
> should I look to?
> (iv) Are there any books or articles with minimal maths to understand the
> practical issues of Waveletes ? (The books I have come across so far
> are all beyond my level of maths)
>
> If someone could help me with the answers I will be much obliged.

In my opinion, the application of wavelets to texture discrimination is
_not_ straightforward, and wouldn't neccessarily be my first port of
call (for texture features); yet, see the article by Unser (1995), which
should give an up-to-date literature survey. The articles by Stollnitz
et al (1995), are fairly accessible. BTW NB. the typo. on p. 78 (part I)
the eqn. should read

psi_i^j := psi(2^j-i), i=0,...

The Castleman (1996) book give a fairly complete account.

Refs:

@Article{stollnitza,
author="E.J. Stollnitz and T.D. DeRose and D.H. Salesin",
year=1995,
title="Wavelets for computer graphics: a primer, Part 1",
journal= "IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications",
month="May"
}
@Article{stollnitzb,
author="E.J. Stollnitz and T.D. DeRose and D.H. Salesin",
year=1995,
title="Wavelets for computer graphics: a primer, Part 2",
journal= "IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications",
month="July"
}
@Article{rioul-vetterli,
author="O. Rioul and M. Vetterli",
year=1991,
title="Wavelets and Signal Processing",
journal= "IEEE Signal Processing Magazine",
month="October"
}
@Article{unser,
author="M. Unser",
year=1995,
title="Texture Classification and Segmentation using wavelet frames",
journal= "IEEE Trans. on Image Processing",
Volume=4,
number=11,
month="Nov"
}

@Book{castleman,
author = "K.R. Castleman",
title = "Digital Image Processing",
publisher = "Prentice Hall",
year = "1996",
OPTedition = "3rd."
}

I've attempted to cross-post this to sci.image.processing -- I hope you
don't mind.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon Campbell.

--
|~ Jonathan G Campbell, ISC/ISE, University of Ulster, Magee College, ~|
| Derry, BT48 7JL, Northern Ireland. tel +44 1504 375367, fax 370040 |